Buttons

I remember as a child playing with hundreds of buttons all kept in a large tin. Each of my grandmothers had an almost identical container. One, as she made clothes, and the other as she had many clothes made for her. At the time, all I cared about is the buttons. Their weight, colour, size and texture varied a great deal – metal, bone, Bakelite, carved, mottled, smooth, pretty, functional, wool covered, four hole, two hole, the range seemed to be endless. Perhaps it’s the invention of Velcro and the wider use of zips, but my Mother’s collection of buttons was a lot smaller and less varied. Mine is very immature in comparison. However I do have one!!

Button haul

My most recent acquisitions arrived courtesy of a very thoughtful and craft oriented friend. And what a beautiful haul they are.

Button collection

They immediately reminded me of afternoon’s spent sorting buttons in my grandmother’s house. There are pretty wooden ones.

Wooden button

And modern metal ones.

Metal button

Girlie rainbow-hued butterfly ones.

Dragonfly button

And even shell ones.

Shell button

I was doubly thankful for the kind gift as I have been thinking of making my own recently and I’ve even bought some materials. I have an orange and brown reversible felt coat that I’ve loved a little too much and the buttons seem to have disappeared. I want to make some two-coloured new ones. This is a summer make – I will post photos when I’m done.

And then I want to crochet some. Another summer make.

crochet buttons

I now feel that I want to work on getting a project made so I can use those gorgeous red floral wood buttons. How about this? I think it’s really elegant. I just wonder whether I’d use it enough…

Interweave Crochet pattern for cape

Interweave Crochet pattern for cape

And that is all from me for a while. I’ve decided to emulate the French and take the entire month of August off. I hope to do a bit of designing, a bit of making, a bit of reading others’ blogs (I miss you all) and enjoy the summer. My warmest wishes to you and your families, thank you for stopping by and speak to you in September.

About these ads

About monsteryarns

I am a yarn enthusiast and knitter. And I am incredibly fortunate to use both in my home business as a quality yarn retailer and knitting coach.
This entry was posted in buttons and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Buttons

1. Patch says:

Oooooooo, I love buttons. I remember playing with my Grandma’s button tin too. Looking forward to seeing what you make. Enjoy your holiday. X

2. PJ Lightning says:

Oh my, that brings back memories! I had forgotten about the button jar! My mother had (and probably still has) one too and I used to love getting them out to play with. That red shawl/jacket thing looks familiar too. I think I had something similar when I was a child.

3. teabeaknits says:

Lovely to find that there are so many of us who loved playing with grandma’s button tin/jar/box. I would sort them into sizes, colours, shapes, etc (gosh, gran is probably responsible for any mathematical abilities I have)! I was determined that my children would have the same opportunity so I started my own tin – which came in useful when I started knitting in earnest again a couple of years ago.

• monsteryarns says:

I deprived my boys of a button tin. Now I wish I hadn’t as it seems to stay with people as a positive memory. Well, we’re all trainee parents really! : )

• teabeaknits says:

I’m sure there are hundreds of other positive memories they’ll take away from their childhood – but it probably won’t stop them mentioning this area of deprivation if they think of it ;-) Certainly mine have a habit of doing so (all for fun of course) ;-)

4. bcre8v2 says:

Wow, loved seeing all the creative readers who also love buttons and remember sorting through an older relative’s jar, tin or box of buttons. My mother had a tin full of the prettiest buttons and to this day, I can’t leave a fabric store or craft fair without buying some buttons. Do I need this many buttons? Of course not! But the button supply is like the yarn stash–you can’t have too much. Thanks for this post!

• monsteryarns says:

I was really surprised that so many of us have the same experience! My two have completely missed out – I didn’t have a button box when they were growing up. Have a good summer.

5. Helen says:

I think it had to be grandma’s tin! I remember the smell of the tin too- slightly musty but not unclean. I was so cross when my mum threw most of them out!