Double Knitting – an Epic Fail

I’ve been hunting around for a bit of a challenge and in passing I opened up a pattern book I haven’t browsed for a while. I came across a wonderful jacked in double knitting with a modern Scandinavian pattern on the shoulders. I didn’t exactly think “piece of cake” but that was the point. I was in love.

In case you haven’t come across double knitting before, it is a technique where you knit with two contrasting coloured yarn at the same time to create two independent fabrics linked  only at the sides and the cast on/cast off edges. If you are also knitting patterns into your fabric, each side of the work shows the pattern in the contrast yarn.

I picked my yarn carefully – selecting colours which I love and wear and also compliment each other. And alpaca. I thought I’d go the full hog and  make something luxurious.

Alpaca Brown and yellow

And then I cast on. Ripped back and cast on again. I was determined to get the hang of the double knitting tubular cast on recommended.  And I got there.

Cast on in double knitting

And then I started knitting. Swatching is for losers right? Wrong!!

I ripped out and started again. By this stage, I had three days’ worth of knitting wound back into balls. My knitting ego had shrunk to the size of a midget. I started again but only a swatch this time. Cast on was less of an issue. Knitting no problem. Then I noticed something odd.

Jpeg Double Knitting in reverse stocking

Yes, you got it. I was double knitting reverse stocking stitch. I carried on watching YouTube videos ad nauseam. Then tried again. Still the same result. My swatch turned into the size of a bookmark. Still no real change.

I don’t admit defeat. This attempt is just “resting”.

Any ideas or pointers on double knitting? Any projects that you are resting at the moment?

About these ads

About monsteryarns

I am a yarn enthusiast and knitter. And I am incredibly fortunate to use both in my home business as a quality yarn retailer and knitting coach.
This entry was posted in double knitting, Knitting and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Double Knitting – an Epic Fail

1. gemmacrochet says:

I love the yarn you have chosen! but I can’t help you…

2. Deborah Knight says:

Are you knitting the knit stitches and slipping the purl stitches? That has always worked for me and then I have the knit stitches on the outside.

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 1:46 AM, WordPress.com

3. Pearl says:

Oh boy…I’ve always wanted to try double-knitting. Points to you for jumping in! Just think…you’ll feel awesome once you’ve nailed it (which I’m sure you will ;)

4. lollyknits says:

I’ve been very intimidated to try this, though I probably will someday.

5. double knitting is a pain to learn but once it clicks, it’s amazing. I fell in love with it, and if I can do it I promise you can too!

I normally don’t post links to my blog in comments on other blogs, so I will totally understand if you delete this comment, but take a look at this post: http://stitchesnscraps.com/2013/12/22/fo-agents-of-shield-scarf/ In it I’ve listed my favorite tutorials for double knitting (cast on, bind off, and the knitting itself). Hope that helps!

P.S. – I think you’re just starting with the wrong stitch. The first stitch on each row should always be on the side that is facing you, not on the back side. if you want stockinette on both sides, you should always knit the stitches on the side facing you, and purl the stitches on the back side. :)

• monsteryarns says:

Delete a helpful comment?! Never!!
      Thank you so much – I will have a look at this at the weekend. I really do like the pattern and irks me that I cant get on with it.

6. PPS – casting on is the hardest part. So if you got that down, you’ll be able to get the rest :)

• monsteryarns says:

I hope so. It took a while….
      I certainly started to really understand why it was fisherman who did a lot of knitting and crochet several centuries ago.